The Hiker/Spanish American War Monument
- The Hiker/Spanish American War Monument.
- Erected 1951 by the Spanish-American War Veterans and Auxiliaries of Texas.
- Sculptor: Theo Alice Ruggles Kitson.
- Capitol Historical Artifact Collection, State Preservation Board.
- Cast by: Gorham Company of Providence, Rhode Island.
The bronze statue of a soldier, mounted on Texas Sunset Red Granite, honors the memory of veterans of the Spanish-American War (1891-1902). American soldiers called themselves "hikers" during the conflict. Artist Theo Alice Ruggles Kitson sculpted the first "Hiker" statue for the University of Minnesota. Kitson's work became popular and the Gorham Company of Providence, Rhode Island cast more than 50 "Hiker" statues throughout 23 states.