Texas Supreme Courtroom
The Texas judicial branch, responsible for interpreting state law, once had its center in the Capitol. The Supreme Court met in beautifully designed room on the third floor north wing. The Supreme Court judges presided in a room with plush carpeting, walnut furniture and a drapery and sat behind an elaborately carved bench. In 1959, the Supreme Court vacated the Capitol for other nearby office space. The 1990s building restoration returned the courtroom to its historic appearance. Preservationists were able to make an exact reproduction of Supreme Court carpeting and the drapery thanks to photographic documentation and textile remnants. The Courtroom now serves as a meeting room.Photograph: Supreme Courtroom, August 2015, State Preservation Board.