House of Representatives Chamber
The House of Representatives makes up half of the legislative branch responsible for enacting state laws. The House Chamber, the largest room in the Capitol, is located on the second floor west wing. When the building opened in 1888, the Chamber seated 106 members and now 150 representatives convene in the historic room which is the maximum allowed by the Texas Constitution. Restored to its c. 1909 appearance, the House Chamber--like the Senate--is one of the few rooms still used for its original purpose. Behind the rostrum used by the Speaker of the House hangs the original San Jacinto battle flag carried by Texas at the decisive battle of the Texas Revolution. If the Legislature is not in session, a reproduction flag hangs in its place so the original can be kept in darkness under the drapery.Photograph: House of Representatives, August 2015, State Preservation Board.